Thursday, January 22, 2009

Transition to the toddler bed

Okay...so I have been really neglectful of this blog. I didn't think anyone was really reading it until I got some emails saying "Why are you not writing on your blog?". So, I will make an effort to keep this more up to date.

Grace has started sleeping her toddler bed this week. I wanted to wait until the last possible moment to put her in the toddler bed, as I really like having her in the crib. She still fights bedtime and naptime almost every day, so she often cried for a few minutes after I put her in the crib. It was so easy to put her in and walk away.
Well....on Tuesday night I put her in her crib, said goodnight and walked out of the room. Something made me look back to check on her and there she was...sitting on top of her crib rail. One leg swung over the edge and one leg still in the crib. What a little monkey...so quiet and so sneaky. So, that was the end of the crib era. Her crib does convert to a toddler bed, but it still seemed so high off the ground...and I did not have a bedrail to put up. I had a toddler bed in the basement that I was planning to use instead. So, I dragged this heavy toddler bed up the stairs and set it up for the little princess.
Then, the real challenge begins. How do you get a 2 year old to sleep in a bed? She does this at daycare, but like most children, Grace does miraculous things at daycare that she does not do at home. I put a baby gate up in the doorway (another trip to the basement) and tried leaving her alone. That did not go well. In the end, I ended up sleeping on the floor beside her toddler bed until she fell asleep (about an hour later).
Last night, I was all prepared to bundle up on the floor again to get her to sleep. Gordie had offered to inflate an air mattress for me, but I did not want to make sleeping on the floor attractive to her. She tried sleeping beside me once on the floor and decided that the hardwood was too hard and cold for her. This time it was 2 hours later and she was not asleep....little rascal. And, I was sore from laying on the floor. So, I ended up leaving her in the room alone and within 15 minutes she was asleep.
I can only wonder what tonight will bring....I wish that Nanny 911 show had a 1-800 number you could call 24/7 with these questions. I

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is happy and sad to say good-bye to the crib. Just means your little one is growing up way too fast before your eyes.
When Wyatt went into a "big boy" bed he gave up his much needed nap.
I made the mistake of laying with Valeska till she fell asleep, then I would be asleep along with her at 8pm. I learned my lesson with Wyatt he got his story and then I told him I would be back to check on him. When I went to check on him he would be fast asleep.
I hope you don't have to be on the floor much longer.